Charles Wilton

Australian Pottery Comport Bowl by Charles Wilton, 7 cm high.

Charles Wilton (1916-2000) was born in Glasgow, Scotland and came to Melbourne as a boy in 1922. He studied ceramics at the Melbourne Technical College, then spent four years working with Eric Juckert in his studio in Caulfield before setting up his own studio in Croydon in 1940. After serving in the Air Force from 1942-1946, he returned to Croydon but moved to Warrandyte the following year.

In 1958, he was one of the founding members of the Potters’ Cottage at Warrandyte, with Artur Halpern, Reg Preston, Phyl Dunn and Gus McLaren. He continued working into his seventies, eventually retiring in 1992. His work is incised ‘Charles wilton’ or ‘C. Wilton’. An obituary by Gary Prince and Ken Lawrence was published in Ceramics Technical, no.23, Nov 2006-Apr 2007: 98-100.

Potters Cottage was a co-operative founded in Warrandyte in 1958 for the purpose of advocating the idea of making and selling handmade Australian pottery. The potters produced beautiful, functional studio pottery with attention to shape, decoration and glaze, bringing ancient craft together with the modern. Whilst they shared certain principles in their work, the distinctive style and individuality of each artist is strongly evident. Their shared idealistic belief that modern, handmade pottery could enhance the quality of contemporary life was central to their philosophy.


Charles Wilton throwing a vase