Australian Pottery Comport Bowl by Charles Wilton, 7 cm high.
Charles Wilton (1916-2000) was born in Glasgow, Scotland and came to Melbourne as a boy in 1922. He studied ceramics at the Melbourne Technical College, then spent four years working with Eric Juckert in his studio in Caulfield before setting up his own studio in Croydon in 1940. After serving in the Air Force from 1942-1946, he returned to Croydon but moved to Warrandyte the following year.
In 1958, he was one of the founding members of the Potters’ Cottage at Warrandyte, with Artur Halpern, Reg Preston, Phyl Dunn and Gus McLaren. He continued working into his seventies, eventually retiring in 1992. His work is incised ‘Charles wilton’ or ‘C. Wilton’. An obituary by Gary Prince and Ken Lawrence was published in Ceramics Technical, no.23, Nov 2006-Apr 2007: 98-100.
Potters Cottage was a co-operative founded in Warrandyte in 1958 for the purpose of advocating the idea of making and selling handmade Australian pottery. The potters produced beautiful, functional studio pottery with attention to shape, decoration and glaze, bringing ancient craft together with the modern. Whilst they shared certain principles in their work, the distinctive style and individuality of each artist is strongly evident. Their shared idealistic belief that modern, handmade pottery could enhance the quality of contemporary life was central to their philosophy.
Mid Century Hanstan Pottery Ramekin Bowls with Thumb Handle
Hans Wright and Stan Burrage started a pottery in 1962 at Springvale, Victoria. Both had previously worked as salesmen. Hans had completed an art course at Melbourne Technical College, now RMIT University. Work was marked ‘Hanstan’ or ‘Hanstan Studio’ (incised).
These ramekins are Raw Sienna, one of the brown pigments most widely used by artists, since the Renaissance. This natural iron pigment takes its name from Sienna, where it was mined. Along with ochre and umber, it was one of the first pigments to be used by humans, and is found in many cave paintings.
After the partnership was dissolved in 1964, Hans and his wife Patricia continued the pottery at an industrial site on the Mornington Peninsula until well into the 1980s. Hanstan was on wedding lists in the 1970s.
Hans Wright became Australia’s first international medalist (bronze) in the FITA World target championships in 1969 and was still competing at the 2002 World Masters Games.
Hans is a member of the Australian Archery Hall of Fame and was awarded an Order of Australia Medal in 1979 for services to the sport of Archery. He joined the National Archery in Schools Program (NASP) in 2009 as national coach, sharing his knowledge of the sport with participating school children. As national coach for NASP, he worked alongside teachers to improve their archery coaching skills and with the students in the program to help improve their technique.
NASP is sweeping the globe as a program targeted at students in years 4 – 12 that promotes the importance of education and physical activity. Originally launched in the United States, the concept has been rolled out in schools around Australia.
This pottery is instantly recognisable from the edge band of unglazed pottery, that always separates the two toned pieces. All Martin Boyd pottery was made [and signed] by hand, so there is a slight variation between any pieces in a set.
Guy Martin Boyd (1923-1988) was born in Murrumbeena, Victoria, where he learnt to make pottery as a child in the studio of his father Merric Boyd.
Guy trained as a sculptor at the East Sydney Technical College. In 1946, to help fund his studies, he set up the Martin Boyd Pottery in Cremorne with partners Norma and Leonard Flegg. In 1951, he sold his share of the pottery to Leonard’s brother Ronald and returned to Melbourne, setting up the Guy Boyd Pottery in Bentleigh in 1952. He and his wife Phyllis operated the pottery until 1964.
The Boyds are a famous Australian family of artists. Merric studied pottery at the Wedgwood Pottery and returned in 1919 to Murrumbeena, where he applied many of the techniques he had acquired in England. His pottery became highly popular. He held exhibitions and pottery demonstrations in Melbourne, and sold his pots through city stores such as Georges. He was described in one newspaper article as ‘The King of Melbourne Potters’.
Hand painted with different fruits, mushrooms and other vegetables, flowers and insects with gilt highlights and textured white border surface.
Since its introduction in the 1860s this pattern, with its beautiful hand-painted compositions, has been favored by many Royal houses. Czar Nicholas II of the Imperial Court of Russia ordered a set after admiring its display at the World Exhibition of 1900.
Collectors often call this pattern ‘Fruits and Flowers’. Some halved and some whole, the yellow, green and red-skinned apples, pears, pomegranates and figs are surrounded by cherries, plums, gooseberries, redcurrants, raspberries, strawberries and flowers. There are smaller fruits and vegetables placed around the central group. The pattern comes in twelve different variants.
Introduced in 1851 at the First World Exhibition in London, where it was awarded a gold medal from the jury and a commission from the person who gave her name to the pattern. Queen Victoria ordered a table service in the pattern for the Windsor Castle. This Chinese influenced pattern demands the skills of Herend’s most talented and experienced painters.
What is perhaps Herend’s most famous pattern is made up of almost a hundred kinds of stylized butterflies and springs of blossom, painted in cheerful and lively colours. The combination of red, blue, purple, yellow and green butterflies, flowers and sprigs makes a cavalcade for the green of a meadow.
In Chinese tradition Butterflies represent Immortality, since Taoism regards Wings as the expression of Eternity. The adorned Wings and Beauty of the magnificent Butterflies symbolize Grace, whereas their Flittering represents the development of the Soul. Both are perfectly complemented by the other decorative components on the VICTORIA pattern.
Founded in 1826, Herend Porcelain is one of the world’s largest ceramic factories, specializing in luxury hand painted and gilded porcelain. In the mid-19th century it was purveyor to the Habsburg Dynasty and aristocratic customers throughout Europe. Many of its classic patterns are still in production.
Fruits & Flowers
Since its introduction in the 1860s this pattern, with its beautiful compositions of fruits and flowers, has been favored by many royal houses. The Imperial Court of Russia ordered a set after its display at the World Exhibition of 1900.
There are a total of 12 different motifs of Fruits and Flowers in the center of the plates. Herend is completely hand painted and the artist is given free license to choose the quantity, colors and placement of the small clusters which surround the center motif. This ensures that no 2 pieces are ever identical and each is an individual work of art.
The Roanoke pattern was designed by C.B. Simmonds, who was Art Director at Royal Worcester in 1935. The pattern was first introduced during the austerity period in the 1940’s, when patterned china was produced only for export. It was named after a little river in Virginia and Roanoke was designed mainly for the American market.
The pattern was produced on Fine Bone China tableware in the fluted Warmstry shape body and has clusters of summer flowers on ivory ground, narrow edged with gold.
The Picardie tumbler has become truly emblematic of French style, like the beret or striped sailor shirt. Its easily identifiable curved shape has often been cast in the feature films, where it has made countless appearances in post-war classics, during the Nouvelle Vague and in recent international successes like Skyfall, the latest James Bond.
Renowned for its chip resistance and durability, Duralex has been crafting tempered glassware that is stunning and resilient.
Villeroy & Boch Corpo impresses catering professionals with its comprehensive range of pieces, which feature simple, smooth pieces perfect for professional, minimalist establishments. The elegant silhouette and color creates contrast, allowing your fresh dishes to become the focal point of any dining area.
Edinburgh Pottery (1972-2005) located within the Sovereign Hill precinct in Ballarat, Victoria was set up by John Gilbert to produce wares in a 19th century style for the tourist market. In practice, it was a training ground for young potters, who produced a wide range of well-made functional items in the Anglo-Oriental style. Ironically, while Edinburgh Pottery flourished for many years in its Sovereign Hill setting, most of the domestic ware in use on the Ballarat goldfields was imported from the Staffordshire potteries of England. One of the reasons for its closure in 2005 was that, historically, such a pottery had never existed in Ballarat in the 1850s. Edinburgh Pottery ware is impressed ‘Edinburgh Pottery Ballarat’.
John Gilbert was born in Albury, Victoria. He worked as a teacher while completing a Certificate of Art at the Technical College in Marlborough, before moving to Ballarat in 1958. From 1960-61, he studied for a Diploma of Art at the Ballarat School of Mines and later lectured there until ill health forced his retirement in the late 1970s. At his studio at Mt Helen, near Ballarat, he produced works marked with an incised ‘Gilbert’ in a style quite different from the pervading Anglo-Oriental tradition. He had acquired a concern for form and an interest in sculpture from his teacher Neville Bunning, and from the British potter Hans Coper, whom he visited in 1968. As a businessman, he was also involved in the establishment of two potteries in Ballarat the Edinburgh Pottery (1972-2005) located within the Sovereign Hill precinct, and the Old Ballarat Pottery (1973-1994) located in the Old Ballarat Village opposite Sovereign Hill.