Thomas Webb Crystal “GOTHIC” Trumpet Vase – 26cms (10-1/4″) Tall.
Thomas Webb & Sons became well known for their quality fine lead crystal glassware.
Thomas Webb began his glass career in 1829, when he became a partner of the Wordsley Glassworks. Soon after, he also inherited his Fathers partnership in the nearby White House Glassworks, and in 1836 he left Wordsley to run White House. The Platts Glassworks was added in 1840, followed by the Dennis glassworks in 1855. Thomas Webb was joined by his sons Thomas Wilkes Webb and Charles Webb, and in 1859 the company was named Thomas Webb & Sons. Their Father died in 1869 and Thomas Wilkes Webb became head of the company. Thomas Webb & Sons became well known for their quality fine lead crystal glassware. Thomas Wilkes Webb passed away in 1891, Charles Webb then ran the company until he retired in 1900, when Congreve William Jackson took the role of managing director. During the early 20th century, production moved towards Art Nouveau style glassware.
In 1920, Thos. Webb & Sons merged with Edinburgh and Leith Flint Glass Co. and became Webb’s Crystal Glass Company. The firm aquired Henry G. Richardson & Sons in 1930. Sven Fogelberg, previously from Swedish glassworks Kosta, became manager of Webb’s in 1932. Designers at the factory during the 30’s included Thomas F. Pitchford, Anna Fogelberg and Homery Folkes. Designer David Hammond joined Webb’s in 1947 – 1951, and returned 1956 – 1988. Hammond designed the Scandinavian style ‘Flair’ range in the 1960’s.